Interesting that sometimes the last thing I want to do is stay at home. Too many years spent in the city. Too many wild days as a teen spent go go going. However today I sampled how wonderful and blessed it is to be ABLE to stay at home. What an amazing gift. I traveled a lot over these last few days, driving to Oklahoma and looking for rentals. We spent hours upon hours in the car, and our little guy got sick (you can tell he is our youngest since he is 5 and a half and I still call him our little guy).
We came home last night and he had a raging fever all throughout the night. I woke up and babied him all day long. The fever continued while I rocked him throughout. I cooked for my hubby before he went to work, folded laundry, and homeschooled my daughter. We all sat around later in the evening, watched movies and played candyland. It was so nice just to be able to be there,with them, ya know? Even when all your doing is giving a sick little boy some Tylenol and teaching your 8 year old about God, the world, math and spelling. Sometimes I forget how amazing it is that I am able to stay home. IF I was forced to go to work, or for some unknown reason, WANTED to go to the workforce everyday, I would miss these moments and only come home to the work part of being a mom. I am not looking down on working moms, I am simply saying, I can't believe how blessed it is to be home. It is so easy to forget, most people do not live this life. Some by circumstance, some by choice. Either way, should we not thank God every single day, He has showed us to live this way and provided an opportunity in which to live it?
It's sad, that most women are told and even indoctrinated by our society to believe, they can't stay at home. They are told "you HAVE to have two incomes or you are not contributing to the family", "You will go crazy sitting home all day doing nothing. A job helps you feel important and more like a part of the society", Your kids need day care and preschool, think of all the new things they learn there"
I have heard it all before. Thankfully I was too utterly selfish to believe any of it. I loved my kids and wasn't going to part from them for all the world. Sadly, women who are more selfless than I are believing the lie that you do your family a disservice by staying home. Unfortunately, just the opposite is true. And sometimes, sadly they have no choice, even when they desire to stay home. However I feel for most of us, we have a choice.
There have been times I was tempted. I was schooled in the ways of this world too, and most of my family, although meaning well, have pushed unceasingly for 8 years for me to go back to college or learn a trade. To become a part of society. Unfortunately if more women don't start returning home to their families we will have NO society.
(OK I warned in the very first post on this blog I may offend some. This is my opinion, and the wisdom I feel I have learned from the Word. Please do not hold yourself to my standard, but only that of God himself. Also understand I would not have written this flippantly, I am passionate about this topic, and only write out of that passion and love for families. )
How wonderful, that this is one of the last things I see at the end of my day..
Stay at home mom
Posted by
Valerie
Friday, October 23, 2009
Labels: Children , Homeschooling , Our Family , The Walk



4 comments:
I agree with you that staying home is a tremendous blessing and what we are called to do. When my husband and I first married we both assumed I'd work. I've done it all. Stayed home full-time, gone back to school, worked full-time, worked part-time, and stayed home homeschooling. I'm blessed to live near my mom and dad and have lots of help from them. Also my husband, being a pastor, works on the weekends and has more time during the week. That said, even though I don't feel my kids suffered while I worked, I know I did and so did my marriage. One day I got tired of being stressed out all the time. Of being hurried from early morning until late night. Of NEVER getting enough sleep and never getting the "quality" time I wanted with my kids, or the quanitity. So, yes, it's a blessing to be home. I'm so grateful my husband is willing to do whatever it takes now for me to be home! Thank you for the reminder to count my blessings!
Love your blog - blessings to you!
www.shoutajoyfulnoise.com
I love that song! My parents were oldies fans as well.
Amen, sista'! :o)
Post a Comment