Learning new things is hard. I would love to believe that I enjoy learning new things, and sometime I do, but other times, it just seems too hard. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am reading a book a friend loaned me. Tuff stuff. No, that's not the name of the book, but it should have been. It is called "Created To Be His Help Meet". Can anyone guess what it's about? Anybody? Yes. It's about our role as help meet. Now I have not finished the book so I can't say whether or not I agree with everything in it, but so far, she has made some very valid points. Some scary points too. Yet, even though she shows scripture, why is it so hard for me to accept the word "ROLE"? Could it have anything to do with the fact that I was raised in a non-Christian home through the 80's and 90s, educated in the public school system, and systematically taught that women should never be put into a "role"? I am thinking maybe. Throw into that mix I was far from the south growing up in Southern California. Women in the south may not always like their role as domestic diva, but at least they do it with a fake smile and big poofy hair. Modern city girls like me however just flat refuse to serve men. That is of course until I vowed my life to Jesus. The most amazing Man ever. So here I sit knowing that Jesus wants me in his word, and is revealing to me things like, submission, and respect, and quiet and gentle spirits. What? OK, so I guess I do see, how men and women could be equally valued in the eyes of God, yet have two totally different roles. And I am also very grateful to be female and not male. I don't want all that responsibility that they have. But when it comes right down to it, complete submission (AND doing it with a smile nonetheless) is hard to do with the stubborn man I am married to. I love that man with every bone in my body, but there are some times, it is really hard with him.
"Who said everything was going to be easy?"
"ummm God, please don't interrupt, I am trying to blog and make many women feel sorry for me"
"Valerie, Seriously?"
"sorry God, your right. As always"
Anyhow, what was I saying? OH yeah, my husband is a stubborn OX..........I mean sometimes my sweet man can be a tad bit difficult. However, I am certain that that is exactly what anyone who has met me would say about me. SO if God knew all this, why did he put us together, with our strong emotional, annoying personalities? Because he knew one day we would both look to Him for direction and He would tell us the formula. Part of it is found in Ephesians 5
" 22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansing[b] her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church—"
You see there it is. Instructions for Him and instructions for me. I am OK with the submit part, it's the part after that that drives me bonkers. You know the part, the one that says ".....IN EVERYTHING".
here is an excerpt from the book I thought interesting..
"God's perfect will is that I learn to be the best help meet possible. My husband is highly attracted to my smile. I want my husband to love me. "A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken"(proverbs 15:13) Being pitiful, hurt, discouraged and even sickly is one side of a "bad marriage" coin. Men in general, (your husband in particular), are repulsed by women who project this image. A man's spirit tells him his woman is rejecting him and manipulating him when she regularly manifests a broken spirit, and he will react with anger. The other side of the bad coin includes having a bitter , angry, and resentful spirit.
Toss that old, destructive coin out the door before it buys you a divorce. God's will is for a wife to have a merry heart and a glow that will refresh the most stressed and tired husband on the planet. Bubbling cheer goes a long way to maintain or even restore a marriage. Make a decision right now to break the "poor me" habit. Today put it down as sin, rebellion, and then tomorrow, wake up with joy in your heart and home. Establish a new habit. What can I do that will make him smile?"
Did she seriously just ask me to spend the day thinking of how to make ANOTHER person smile??? Well It can't hurt I guess, so here goes. Goodbye stressed, overworked Valerie, Hello smiley girl who adores her husband. I will let you know how it goes.
Learning a new way
Posted by
Valerie
Saturday, October 17, 2009
Labels: Our Family , The Walk



7 comments:
I haven't read the book, but maybe you can answer a question for me. What the heck does meet mean? Why don't we just say helpmate? Isn't that kind of weird to use archaic language? I'm just saying, if it didn't sound so weird maybe it would be easier to accept:)
ha ha ha. I am with you girl. I am still trying to understand the difference between "Helpmate" and Helpmeet". The way she explains it is this "The word Help Meet appears in the KJB just two times--Gen 2:18 and 20. However, it is the translation of one Hebrew word---ayzer---which is found 21 times in the Hebrew Bible. Other than being translated "help meet" two times, it is translated just plain "help" 19 times. The Hebrew word studies tell us that it means to succor or one who helps. My proofreader kept trying to get me to join the two words with a hyphen (help-meet), which is commonly done. But throughout this book I have written it just as it appears in the Word of God--two words (help meet), which is to say Eve was created to be a helper (noun)who was to meet (adjective), suited to Adam's needs. The new Testament use of the word meet throws some light on this word: Acts 26:20, Romans 1:27, 1Cor. 15:9, 16:4, Phil. 1:7, Col. 1:12, 2Tim. 2:21, 2Thes. 1:3, Heb.6:7, 2Pet. 1:13. I encourage you to look up these verses. You will be enlightened as to your position before God as a helper "meet" for your man. As I read these verses, the words proper, fit, perfect, good, and well-equipped came to mind. I want to be that kind of help to my husband"
wow that was a lot to type. Anyhow, that was her response to the word Help Meet. Still trying to formulate how I feel about the book but so far it is motivating.
p.s. hope the road trip is going well Celee!
I've read the book and I will say this, she doesn't pull any punches. Like with any book, you have to hold it up to Scripture. But even though she's blunt and to the point, I think that's good. She steps on toes, but I think sometimes our society doesn't like the truth of the Word, so they hide the truth under niceties and pretty phrases and titles. Debi, though she may seem a bit extreme in some things, doesn't sugar coat stuff. And I think we women are so often lied to, like this marriage thing is gonna be easy. So I guess I'm grateful that she's tough on me. And I keep praying that God will give me discernment for anything that's not from Him.
Thanks for stopping by my blog! Nice to "meet" you!
thank you Lora! You put exact words to my thoughts on the book. how did you do that? I agree, she pulls no punches. I also agree she takes some parts to the extreme. At the same time it is refreshing not to hear God's word sugar coated with political correctness. God's word is not always "pretty" to the world, but it is always God's word. Never changing. Thanks for stopping by,and nice to "meet" you too :)
When I've shared with a few people that I was reading this book ( I read it last year), I was met with some judgment because Debi is so "controversial". I don't agree with everything she says, but I do think she makes very valid points and any woman can apply them to her own marriage. It is like she's forcing you to hold up a mirror in front of YOUR face and say...what am i doing/have i done wrong in this marriage? How am I contributing to its demise? Let's have a look at me instead of him...that's when I wanted to throw it against the wall. ;) I was blessed by the book though and I feel like I am remembering what my role is. And I love it! It isn't easy, but it is what God intends for us. What a blessing, right? :)
Julie
hi girl!!! miss you too! I am so glad you have read the book, and I was so refreshed to hear what you said about it. You are so right, she makes very valid points that can apply to ALL marriages. It is a serious trapping of women to look at their husbands and see how they have failed, and never hold the scriptures to ourselves and see where we have failed also. And sometimes...gasp!...even more so! love you Julie!
I'm smiling along with you! Although, this Southern gal can get her hair to poof, no matter how much hairspray I use! :o)
Post a Comment