Tired of homeschooling your little one?



I don't know how you answered that title question, but my answer is a resounding YES!
My son is five, so I don't do an "official" curriculum. We piddle around with this and that, but mostly do Saxon for math and little workbooks for phonics. So here is something simple, and "out of the box" (out of the box= anything outside of what we normally work on, i.e. writing, math, phonics workbooks) we did lately.
This is something I did to help encourage my son to read. He is not a big fan of trying to read at this moment so anything that encourages him to do it, is a bonus in our house.
I took colored linking cubes (you could use anything you have that has lots of colors) and laid them out. Then I took index cards, cut them in half and wrote a different color on each of them. When I was finished with that my son had to read the card himself so that he could place them under the corresponding color linking cube. He loved it, he read them, and it cost me NOTHING! yeah, I love, free, simple, and non-time consuming ideas.
Could you come up with something better? I am certain you could. But from one mom to another, I know I always appreciate ideas, no matter how small and simplistic the idea might be.

2 comments:

Shannon March 2, 2010 at 7:30 AM  

Hey, Valerie
Love the index cards. We use them for everything. In fact, I have a box full of them, lined, blank, small, large, and post-it. (Our colored cards are in a different box!) We just recently used them for science fair recording data. When my kids were learning to read, I would sometimes just write one word on a MagnaDoodle. After they would read it, they would erase it and try to write me a word. I tried to keep it pretty simple yet still give them some longer words because they feel so accomplished when the read a word like pancake or butter, besides one like run. (I found the dry erase board and MagnaDoodle worked best because it didn't take long to erase, easing some frustration.) A fun one to do is to get a Nestle Crunch bar and have him read it. You can get both crunch and run with that one and eat it, too! Yum! Once they could read pretty well, we used the cards or post-its with just one word on each. I would write up a sentence including a capital letter and ending punctuation. I would have them all out of order, and he would have to put them in order to make a sentence. (Sometimes a sentence would work more than one way.) Anyway, he thought that was fun, too, and again he wasn't having to erase when he got it wrong, just move the pieces again. Sorry for rambling. Hope some of this helps you.

Valerie March 2, 2010 at 6:07 PM  

Thanks Shannon! I really meant it when I said I LOVE TIPS! I appreciate it, and so will my little guy ;)

Donate to our adoption!


I write on the most varied, and well... sometimes quite odd topics. I am a mom to three, soon to be four amazing kiddos. I am the wife of the only man in the world who can melt me, frustrate me, teach me, mold me, lead me, romance me and drive me a bit crazy. God has saved me from myself, my sins, and my hellbound road, and for that I am forever grateful. I love my King, my kids, my Sweetheart, and the life that Christ has led me to. I am passionate about my faith, healthy living, frugality, adoption, purity, children, and homeschooling, as well as a host of other things. These things do not define me but definitely hold my interest in a conversation! These are also some of the things that I speak about here.