Netflix, yay!


(at the end of the post I have compiled a list of good movies)
So I was on Facebook earlier, which only happens like once a week (*insert laughter and knee slapping*) and saw a discussion going on that I thought I would bring here.
One of my favorite blogs is Raising Olives and she had put out a question on Facebook about movie suggestions because she just subscribed to Netflix. I LOVE this topic. I am passionate about what should be put in front of our eyes as Christians, or even a society as a whole. While there is no law, there is biblical common sense in this. I think each family will be different from other families and that is OK. What I think is a great starting place for what we choose is this...
Am I learning something?
Am I learning something at the expense of my morals?
Does it put down my God and His Holy name?
Is it glorifying violence?
Am I watching other peoples nakedness?
Is this a good way to spend my time?
Would I take someone totally new to the faith, try and show them the truth of sin, the goodness, mercy, and holiness of God, and then sit down with them and watch this movie?

I think these questions are good to ask ourselves based on several scriptures I think can be applicable (but not made LAW)

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Psalm 101:3
I will set before my eyes no vile thing. The deeds of faithless men I hate; they will not cling to me.

Romans 12:9
Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.

So when I think about shows and movies that not only show loose sexual relationships but glorify them, I cannot help but think that I TOO am glorifying it and desensitizing myself to sin, by honoring the movie and clinging to it's entertainment value. For instance, say there is a movie that is the most recent blockbuster hit. Everyone is raving about its characters, its amazing edge of your seat scenes and its captivating storyline. Let's also say that this movie uses Jesus' name as a swear word 26 times, abuses God's name 7 times, has over 20 scenes with barely clothed women and has two very steamy sex scenes. Let's say you then see the movie, are completely blown away by the plot and storyline and the next day post on Facebook "how amazing!!" this movie was. Are people seeing that we call sin "sin" or are they seeing us confuse sin with entertainment? Is that clinging to what is "good"? Are those things helping us to "think on whatever is noble"? Can we honestly say after seeing that, that "I have set no vile thing before my eyes", as the writer of the psalm said? I realize things things are not always cut and dry, nor am I trying to claim that I know what things are good and "should" be watched and what things are evil and "should" be avoided. But what I am saying is that we are to examine ourselves and our motives very closely in this culture because I think desensitization sooooo easily happens, oftentimes without even knowing it. SOOOOOOOOO here is a list of Netflix movies for all the Netflix subscribers. They range from mildly boring yet informative, to VERY entertaining, and/or spiritually uplifting. Once again, I am not claiming my standard is better than anyone's, for all I know my standard may be too liberal for some. However I can honestly say that these movies are clean, good, wholesome fun (although some may not be suitable for little ones just due to the gravity of the storyline)
My list:

Robber of the Cruel Streets: George Muller
The Peasall Sisters
In His Steps
The Eden String Quartet.
End of the Spear
Startling Proofs
The love comes softly series (although I have not seen the newest ones, so I cannot speak for their content)
Pride and Prejudice (the newer one with Keira Knightley is surprisingly CLEAN and very well made however, there are some shots of art statues that are partially nude, as well as a painting in the far background that has female nudity. Very common to that era, but nakedness none the less. this only happens in two scenes in the movie.)
The Creation Seminar (I do NOT agree with everything in this one, but it has TONS of great evidences for creation)
The search for the real Mount Sinai
Search for the Ark of the Covenant
The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
Drive Thru History
Creatures That Defy Evolution
A Journey Home (GREAT MOVIE!)
America's Godly Heritage: Wallbuilders
Secrets of the Vine
Inherit the Land: Agrarian Journey
A Life God Rewards
The Search for the Real Mount Sinai
Apostles of Comedy
Privileged Planet
Sarah's choice
Unlocking the Mysteries of Life
Icons of evolution
A full house of blessing: Niklas family
The Stonewall Jackson Story
Time Changer
Felicity: An American Girl
Faith like potatoes
The ultimate gift
Though none go with me
End of the spear
The Family Meal Table
The living legend of Jimmy Gentry
Homestead Blessings : The art of Bread Making
: The art of Candle Making
: The art of Soap Making
(they may have added more by now)

primarily kids stuff:

Adventures in Odyssey (some are a bit dramatic for younger ones)
Bug rangers
T.R.U.T.H about the Dinosaurs
Inspiring Animated Heroes (such as Helen Keller)
3-2-1 Penguins

4 comments:

Patty Patterson August 4, 2010 at 5:52 AM  

Good points!

Are all of the movies on your list on Net Flix?

And when it comes to using God's name in vein many are unaware that euphanisms for God's name are equally disrespecful. Euphanisms for God's name are Gosh, Golly and Gee and we really shouldn't use them either. Yet, most think nothing of it.

Our world is so far from ideal.

Valerie August 5, 2010 at 3:29 PM  

Yes Ma'am I agree. Also ALL those movies can be found on Netflix.
thanks for stopping by Patty!

wendi August 6, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

Found your blog from Raising Arrows. Thank you for the great list! Some I have seen, but I added many to my netflix! Thanks!

Valerie August 6, 2010 at 5:12 PM  

thank you for stopping by Wendi! Enjoy the list.
Valerie

Donate to our adoption!


I write on the most varied, and well... sometimes quite odd topics. I am a mom to three, soon to be four amazing kiddos. I am the wife of the only man in the world who can melt me, frustrate me, teach me, mold me, lead me, romance me and drive me a bit crazy. God has saved me from myself, my sins, and my hellbound road, and for that I am forever grateful. I love my King, my kids, my Sweetheart, and the life that Christ has led me to. I am passionate about my faith, healthy living, frugality, adoption, purity, children, and homeschooling, as well as a host of other things. These things do not define me but definitely hold my interest in a conversation! These are also some of the things that I speak about here.