Modesty in fashion?

Fashionable?
I am not sure if modesty will ever again be hip or trendy in mainstream America. However, our goal isn't to be cool. Our goal is to honor God with every aspect of our lives. Having said that, though, does that mean, we just throw on a sack and move on? Well, maybe, if your into that sort of thing ;)
Seriously, I think we can all find creative ways to dress modest,feminine, comfortable, and lovely. For instance, a good friend of mine wears these super cute undershirts that help prevent the "boobie peek-a-boo show" (as I like to call it)we put on when us ladies bend over :)
Here are some pictures of me wearing them, taken a few months back, when it was still cold outside.
p.s. you will see wayyyy too many pictures of me in this post. sorry.



Aren't they cute?? you can find them at Aliza's boutique (a cute, modest online boutique).

Skirts?
There is so much controversy surrounding skirts, I am not even really going to go there, but I will say a quick version on how I feel about them.
I had never worn a jean skirt in my life until very recently. Unless my mom dressed me in some as a child and I just don't remember. And although I DO NOT believe as some do, that it is a sin to wear pants I do love skirts and recommend all women who have an aversion to skirts, to at least try a few every once and while. You may just find, like I did, that you even like them.
Why do I love skirts? Well for one, I am trying to be more modest, and skirts help me do that. If you take notice when we wear jeans, men can see our bottoms, quite clearly and snugly. They hug the hip, thigh, and butt. Which just so happens to be some of the places that kind of turn men on. So for one, skirts, if they are not really tight, or short, take care of that. I feel care free that I am not doing my part to lead any man into thoughts that are sin. I do still wear jeans, but I try and match them with longer tops, so that my back side does not get all the attention.
Another reason I love skirts, is because I feel more free. FREE? In a skirt?
Yes, you heard me. When I wore jeans everyday, I was always getting embarrassed when i bent over and my back, underwear, and even sometime...*GASP*...my crack where hanging out there for all to see. I do understand that all women may not have this problem, seeing that women with larger..uhhhh...."bottoms" tend to make the jeans pull farther when they sit and bend, then do women with small rear ends (I am trying to be tactful here I SWEAR). Skirts on the other hand don't do that, because they are not adhered to the crotch area,so they bend with you.

So you see, skirts don't hug the butt and thigh area, they don't reveal your favorite panties when bending over, and lastly, sometimes its fun to just feel like a girl.
Here are some more, overly annoying pictures of me. I really am only posting these because some good friends of mine...*cough* "CANDICE" *cough*....made me take pictures and post them, because she really wanted to know what I looked like dressing in skirts. She has known me since high school, so she had to see it to believe it. My road towards modest dress has been going on for some time now, but I thought pictures might help.




So basically I rotate my pants, capri's, gauchos, and skirts. Giving each one a try and seeing which ones fit my style, my modest goals, and of course, the "comfort-ability" factor. It can't be uncomfortable, or I will hate it.
And by the way, all those pictures where taken in January, February and March, so I will post pictures soon of some ideas I am having for dressing modest in Summer weather. Jean skirts and 100 degrees don't always mix, so I have some other "flow-y" gypsy type skirts that are just amazing. Most of which I have found at thrift stores, so go dig dig dig ladies until you find some for yourselves!

6 comments:

Celee April 28, 2010 at 5:44 AM  

So as long as I keep my rear end skinny I can wear pants? Whew! That's what I call incentive! (I do wear skirts to church, but pants most every other day.) Also, being flat chested I'd never even thought about the first issue you mentioned. I don't like wearing tight shirts, though, as they do seem to cry out, "Look at me!"

Valerie April 28, 2010 at 7:02 AM  

Hey, its been a good incentive for me! :)
Loosing that bottom of mine, is just too hard sometimes. lol

tight tops: I totally see what your saying. I was really wanting to show the tops that went under the shirt, not really my shirt over them. So if I wore the tight one under, and then a loose one on top of that, I would really be good to go :)

Valerie April 28, 2010 at 7:26 AM  

Oh and please know, I in NO WAY meant women HAD to wear skirts, because I don't feel that way at all. I only wear skirts a few days a week. But i am liking how they fit.
I totally see what your saying. My tops could use work, but I am excited about the progress so far. And those undershirts come in a more loose version. My friend does not like them to be tight, so she gets them a few sizes too big and she says they fit perfectly.

Anonymous April 28, 2010 at 7:38 AM  

I'm curious about the picture of you on the right sidebar. Do you have on shirt under the black t-shirt?

I avoid the problem with the shirts by wearing a sweater for most of the year. (One advantage of a northern climate.)

With pants, I found a belt works to hold the pants up when one bends over.

Ten

Valerie April 28, 2010 at 12:48 PM  

Anonymous,
I did not have a long sleeve shirt on in the shirt in my side bar, but had a tank top. It was ,if I can remember correctly, an extremely hot typical Arkansas summer, so long undershirts where out of the question.
As far as belts go, yes, again I do agree with that for some, but I have seem lots of people, myself included that still have the issue even with a belt. Although they do minimize the likelihood I am sure. :)

Valerie April 28, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

were not where....ugggg

Donate to our adoption!


I write on the most varied, and well... sometimes quite odd topics. I am a mom to three, soon to be four amazing kiddos. I am the wife of the only man in the world who can melt me, frustrate me, teach me, mold me, lead me, romance me and drive me a bit crazy. God has saved me from myself, my sins, and my hellbound road, and for that I am forever grateful. I love my King, my kids, my Sweetheart, and the life that Christ has led me to. I am passionate about my faith, healthy living, frugality, adoption, purity, children, and homeschooling, as well as a host of other things. These things do not define me but definitely hold my interest in a conversation! These are also some of the things that I speak about here.