First of all let me all inform you that I am addicted to thrift stores. For those of you in Arkansas, you may not understand since the thrift stores here are.....lacking.
But where I come from thrift stores are huge, sometimes two stories, and filled with lots of wonderful treasures, at unbeatable prices. I say all that to say that every year I go West to visit family,and fill my suitcase with books and clothes from my favorite thrift stores. One book that I found was a little paper back book I had never heard of, but the title caught my eye. It was entitled "The Spirit Controlled Woman". I knew it was Christian and I also knew, that I had "issues" being spirit controlled. I tend to lean way to far to the side of the flesh. I read it and thought it was wonderful. It talks about personalities, and how we can be a blend of several personality types but we all tend to lean primarily towards one. I apparently am a "Sanguine". It then goes on to describe the personality types in detail. After that it shows how that personality can harm others and really cause yourself a lot of troubles if you don't keep it in check. At this point it showed specific weaknesses in the personality. For instance I was reading one night while laying next to my husband and it said that the Sanguine personality (mine)can often times be overwhelming for people (no kiddin?) and the Sanguine woman often embarrasses her husband when they are in public (OUCH!). At this point I close my eyes, deeply hurting for those who have had to suffer me, and turn to my husband and say " Babe, I am really sorry, if my outgoing, and sometimes too loud personality, ever embarrasses you. I am going to work on toning it down a little". OK so every wife knows that when she admits something like this, knowing full well its the truth, still wants her husband to respond accordingly...."NO Way, sweetie, your wonderful!, I love your outgoing personality. I wouldn't change a thing!" UMMMMMMMMM that was NOT his response. He looked at me with a look that said, "wow, she finally understands my pain, how sweet of her", then smiled and went back to reading. WHAT THE HECK! OK but seriously after being told by a book and confirmed by my husband that I can sometimes, laugh too loud, talk too much, and be a little spacey and forgetful, I then was stuck in a predicament. How do I change? God made me this way, didn't He? Well thankfully the book does not end there. It goes on to quote a verse from the Bible that says "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit." Ephesians 5:18. This word filled means "controlled". daily, hourly. She explains how we can do so much more, be the best we can be, when we allow God to use our personalities for the good. He refines us, guides us,when we allow ourselves to be controlled, filled, with the spirit. She then names, sooo many wonderful Godly attributes of the sanguine, that I almost feel a little prideful in being a Sanguine. I love this book. Like I said before, it is called "The Spirit Controlled Woman", and I will loan it to anyone who wants it. Otherwise you can get it on Amazon really cheap, BUT not as cheap as I paid at my thrift store (25 cents baby!)
Good book
Posted by
Valerie
Thursday, May 28, 2009



3 comments:
I love thrift stores. Take me with you next time you go. I'll just sit quietly in your suitcase...
Sounds like a great book. I'd love to read it sometime.
I will totally loan it to you. My friend has it right now, but she should be done soon. It's a small book.
Val
Post a Comment