This was such a bittersweet moment. My daughter, who is 8, begged me to let her cook dinner. Now she has been "cooking" for years. But by that I mean, she can make toast, and cereal, and even quick Farina in the microwave. She loves to help me in the kitchen by stirring things and helping scramble eggs and such. This time was different though. She wanted to cook. She wanted to invent the recipe, stir fry the hashbrowns, and overall, be the woman in charge of the kitchen. So I stepped back (which was hard for me to do) and let her go for it. I helped shred the potatoes because I was afraid she would cut herself on the shredder, and I turned the oven on and took the casserole in and out of it. Otherwise she made dinner. I wanted to cry because.....MY DAUGHTER IS GETTING TOO BIG! I also wanted to jump for JOY because now I can totally use her as slave labor allow her to help me. What a beautiful and sweet thing it is to watch them grow. She must have been high on the fumes of "big girl" praise, because when we were done with dinner she asked if she could homeschool her little brother with his math because is it was "soooo easy". So I once again stepped aside and let her. And you know what? She is a better teacher than me!
I have waited for this moment
Posted by
Valerie
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Labels: Children , Our Family



4 comments:
That is SO sweet! It's so hard to step back and let them be big sometimes. She is a BEAUTIFUL girl, you should be proud!!
thank you Erin! I am! She is a doll and loves the Lord, and that is what makes me even more proud. :)
How awesome! My 8 yr old made brownies the other night and did a really good job. I was surprised she cracked the eggs and everything. I did help her set the oven temp. Like you, I'm excited for the days ahead. I can't wait til I can ask her what's for supper!
She looks so grown up. So pretty like her mamma!!
Post a Comment