Click here for Part 1
So here we were, knowing that God had provided a family for this little guy. We were so very glad for him. We even found out later that he went to the wonderful home of a woman in our Christian homeschooling community. Oh how God is so good.
But what was God doing? Was this just a fluke incident, or was God again moving us in a different direction, the way He did with Ethan's adoption? We really felt He just wanted us to be open. Open to anything, and to trust Him for the end result. While these thoughts were fresh on the mind, I opened my email, not more than a few days after hearing that we were not chosen for the sweet Down's baby in LA, to see another email from the lawyer in LA. He stated that a colleague of his had called him that morning about a baby in San Diego whose mother had been on Methamphetamines. He asked if we would like our profile sent to them in San Diego to be considered for that baby, and that he would send the file to them as a courtesy to us with no charge. I called my husband at work, and read the email to him. He was having an awful day, and was in a lot of pain (pain that lingers still from his back surgery last year). He didn't like the wording of the email, and wasn't sure at all what that kind of a drug might do to a baby. He was frustrated that it sounded like they were acting as if it was a "courtesy" to find a family for a baby. So he quickly said,"No. Just tell him no. We're doing an older child adoption through the county. This wasn't in our plans.". I did as he said. It broke my heart to write it, but I wasn't going to argue, If he wasn't on board, then I wasn't on board. I could tell my poor husband was having a really tough day.
The very next evening, my husband and I were reading at the computer, a horrific story of an abortion, and the lives that it affected. We sort of thought out loud to one another "what if that woman in San Diego was told 'I can't find anyone to adopt your baby' and she went through with an abortion because she thought she didn't have another option?". We let the weight of that sink in. He looked at me and said "write the lawyer back and ask him to please send our profile to the colleague in San Diego. Maybe he will, maybe he wont, let's just leave it for God to decide.". I wrote him again and asked him to please send our profile and that we had reconsidered.
A week went by and we heard nothing. Nothing back from the Lawyer in LA and nothing from the lawyer in San Diego. We weren't sure if he even ever sent the profile. I had to admit, we did sound a little wishy-washy by saying so no so quickly, and then changing our minds soon after. I finally got up the nerve to write him and ask if he would just let us know if he sent it or not. He wrote back that same day and said that yes, he had in fact sent it, but that we wouldn't hear anything at all unless we were picked. So we would now just wait. If we didn't hear anything soon, we would know that she didn't select us, or possibly even changed her mind about the adoption all together.
As the days ticked by we kept thinking out loud to one another "What is God doing here? Why are all these babies being put in front of us to consider? Babies we weren't really thinking about. Was he wanting us to do a domestic adoption again? We just kept thinking of these precious babies, so many of which were in danger any given day to the abortion that ever looms in front of their momma's path. We know all too well how many people desire the deaths of the ones who aren't "wanted" or those who come at very unfortunate times. We know how hard Ethan's birth momma struggled against the doctors, and nurses who literally screamed at her to abort Ethan. She was six months along when she found out she was pregnant with him. She saw him on an ultrasound the day she found out.....it was her courage, and more than likely that ultrasound that saved his life. Of course we know that God was ultimately in control, and watching over our precious son. How she held her ground at that hospital, with all the pressure and verbal abuse she endured with no one at her side to defend her and our little Ethan hidden in her womb, is an absolute miracle. ahhhh I digress..... where was I? Oh yes, what was God doing? Or was this just us doing something. Maybe we were just suckers for hearing about children in need.
We decided to call our foster to adopt agency and ask more questions about what we could do to speed things along. We asked for them to search diligently for some children for us to at least consider, and look at the files. We sort of wanted them to move things along before we did something crazy ;-) In the meantime we had been calling social workers about children we were finding on the computer on sites like AdoptUsKids.org or HeartGalleryof America.org, but either the workers never called us back or when they did the children were already adopted, or had severe issues on our "no-go" list. But we were looking.
The next day my husband and I were talking and he said "I wonder if ANLC is doing the African American Fee Reduction Program again?". ANLC is the same agency we went through with Ethan. They were amazing to work with, and with our wait with Ethan being only 48 hours after finishing their profile paperwork (2 months total from signing on to getting matched. But only 48 hours after completing the profile), we were pretty darn satisfied. Well when Ethan was 5 months old they contacted us about a special program in which you adopt at a greatly reduced price, because they are specifically looking for families for babies who are "hard to match". These babies at the time were Black/African American babies. They had a large number of African American women who were willing to place their babies, but not enough families on their files willing to adopt non-white babies. Some were willing to adopt Hispanic, and Asian, but not Black. When we received that email when Ethan was five months old, we honestly considered it, as we had always been open to any race, but finally realized we could not do it with all of Ethan's needs at the time. He was a VERY needy baby when he was little, and still is in many ways. Fast forward to this day and my husband wonders if they are having this program available. I sort of shrugged my shoulders and said "Well they might. I'm not sure. Should we call and ask?" He says yes, and so I call that day. I was so nervous dialing that number!!! I just kept thinking "What am I doing?!?!?!?! We aren't going to do another infant adoption!!", but I kept dialing anyway. Driven for some odd reason just to find out. I guess the babies in LA and San Diego had done something to me. Or maybe I was ovulating at the time, ha! Whatever it was, something was softening both of our hearts to being open to doing another domestic adoption. I talked to the supervisor and asked about the African American Fee Reduction Program. They said that they did indeed have the program currently running and were in great need of families willing to adopt these precious babies. I told her my situation, and that we were currently doing Foster to Adopt, I even told her that I had NO CLUE what I was doing on the phone with her, because we weren't doing another domestic infant adoption :-) We decided to schedule an informational meeting for a week later exactly. That would land us on a Tuesday. We decided together, Jake and I, that if we didn't hear back from the woman in San Diego, or from the Foster to Adopt agency, or from the social workers who we had contacted about children on the websites, then we would consider signing on with ANLC on Tuesday. And so we waited for Tuesday to come and God to show us what to do.......
Part 3 (the very end I promise!!!) tomorrow!
And then God changed everything....part 2
Posted by
Valerie
Wednesday, July 10, 2013
Labels: Adoption , Faith , Our Family



1 comments:
Congratulations! How wonderful God weaves these stories together!
Post a Comment