The Blessings of Christmas.

Now as I shared a little in my last post, my husband and I seem determined to re-think Christmas every year. Part of that is because we do not like what Christmas has become. On the flipside, we also aren't particularly excited about the origins of the Christmas holiday either. So where does that leave us? Well that leaves us...... praying. And praying is always a good thing. We rediscover our passions to hold fast to the word of God every year and try not become people that would contradict our Christian walk during this very tempting time of year. Soooooo my husband and I discuss EVERY single detail of EVERY single American holiday tradition we have been raised in. We abandon some, tweak others, and discuss all. I love what that process has done for us. It has driven us to want to know the Lords heart more on everything we do.
Now, as far as Christmas is concerned, we have believed in the past so much of it was almost irredeemable, with all the materialism, self love, magic talk, and pagan backgrounds. HOWEVER, we have seen this year the amazingness (<--I am certain that is not a word, but I love it anyhow) of handing it all over to Christ. We decided to celebrate Christmas this year again and see how it goes with our limitations in place. I think God has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, He can be a light and prove himself mighty in ANYTHING! I am really enjoy this Christmas season. I am enjoying my conversation with others. I am enjoying the teaching of Advent to my children. I am enjoying the beautiful Hymns of songs of believers that sing out praises for bringing the Son to this Earth. What a miracle it was that He came to save us. That is my focus this year. We have decided to give gifts this year in much moderation, and thoughtfulness. We are excited to give to those we love. We are excited to travel to Arizona this year to visit my in-laws who we miss desperately. We are in love with Christ and celebrating His birth this year. So that's where we are at :) How about you?

1 comments:

Beaubecky December 13, 2010 at 1:13 PM  

I love that Valerie. I can see how easily Christmas can get turned away from Christ. I think our goal should be to turn it to Christ in every way we can.

Donate to our adoption!


I write on the most varied, and well... sometimes quite odd topics. I am a mom to three, soon to be four amazing kiddos. I am the wife of the only man in the world who can melt me, frustrate me, teach me, mold me, lead me, romance me and drive me a bit crazy. God has saved me from myself, my sins, and my hellbound road, and for that I am forever grateful. I love my King, my kids, my Sweetheart, and the life that Christ has led me to. I am passionate about my faith, healthy living, frugality, adoption, purity, children, and homeschooling, as well as a host of other things. These things do not define me but definitely hold my interest in a conversation! These are also some of the things that I speak about here.