Yes, we live in Orange County California, and Yes, we just got three chickens :-)
It's very exciting and slightly nerve wracking. Exciting because these are adorable pets, and the funnest things to watch. Also because we LOVE fresh ranged organic eggs, and my kids can't stop playing "farmer" in the backyard.....priceless. B U T......nerve wracking because I keep thinking "I'm a city girl, what do I know about raising chickens??". I keep thinking I am going to mess up somehow and kill them through my ignorance. Is my dog going to kill them? Will they fly over my fence and my neighbors dog kill them? What about all those chicken diseases???
It's still fun though, even with all the worries. I am reading up more and more everyday on how to best take care of them and I am confident that my knowledge will be sufficient. Plus, I mean, my kids are learning awesome lessons on taking care of things. They are almost completely in charge! They change the water, fill the food, scrape the poo with the shovel, let the chickens out to free range, and they even somehow manage to get them back in the coop later when we decide they need to go back in. I love it!
So here are my 7 month old chickens. Two Buff Orpingtons, and one Ameraucana. Their names are Hannah, Julia, and Ruby :-) The kids picked the names. Too cute.



1 comments:
Hey, I love that you got chickens! We have been talking about getting some and are hoping to get into that soon. I wrote a blog you commented on a long time ago about the show Lost. My husband and I just started a blog and will be writing more and more on it. We seem to be like-minded and have gone through some similar things so I have continued to read your blog from time to time. Well, if you are interested it is www.familiesinneedofgrace.blogspot.com
Keep up the good work(when you have time of course!)
Post a Comment