I was thinking tonight about how excited I should be about being in my hometown for Thanksgiving. We have traveled back this way once or twice for thanksgiving in the last 6 years, but for the most part, we have lived too far away to come. My mother LOVES Thanksgiving and always does it up big, so there was never a chance at my family coming to visit me during this special holiday.
However, as I was driving home tonight from cooking with my mom at her big beautiful house, I realized something. As much as I love my family, and I do love them tons, I couldn't wait to get home to MY OWN little family in our cozy little apartment. I pulled into my apartment (just down the street from my moms) and thought how grateful I am to be with my husband and kids. We have lived a pretty hectic life since my husband and I have gotten married. We have dealt with YEARS of separation due to military service, and have moved more times than I care to count. I realize how true it is when God says "And he shall leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife". My husband and I have had our issues for sure, but the one thing we have been able to do well is leave our fathers and mothers and cleave to one another. My husband, my daughter, my son, and I are so very very close. Wherever we go, we make it because of God, and because of the blessing of being a family unit. We are small, but we are strong in the Lord. So tonight, as I reflect on Thankfulness to the Lord, I realize that being here in Cali near my mom and brother and sister, is not what I am most thankful for. It is being where God has placed me, WITH my precious family. "Thank you God that my husband is not in a foreign country this year. Thank you Father for granting us health, that we are not confined to hospitals or beds, and thank you God for healing a broken marriage and making all things new. Lord please be with my Dad in Oklahoma, bless him this day and open His eyes to see and know you. Please show all my family their great need for your Son. Amen.
My own family UNIT.
Posted by
Valerie
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Labels: Faith , Our Family



2 comments:
The military has made a lot of things harder, but it's made it easier to realize how precious together time is with the nuclear family. Kind of "consider it pure joy whenever you face trials of many kinds." I'll chalk it up to God building up my perseverance and showing what really matters in life.
I think you're right on, and I think it goes the same for Christmas time too. I can't wait for LaRae and I to have that kind of togetherness...I guess it'd help if we had more than a cat...
TJ, you are so right about the military. It makes things very hard, but also helps you realize the preciousness of the family unit. And YES you are LaRae need to get moving on something a little more substantial than a cat ;P
Post a Comment